All car owners have experienced the inconvenience of having car repairs. It’s a good thing that there are auto mechanics that you can go to for car repairs and maintenance.
If you are a DIY expert, you can always fix the problem in your garage.
It can be stressful to be without your vehicle primarily if you use it daily for work, it would be great if you can get your car back on the road at the soonest possible time.
Most car owners lack the expertise to repair cars, but that should not stop you from learning a thing or two about basic auto repair.
We share some tips from professional auto mechanics to help you deal with a car repair issue.
Basic Car Repairs You Can DIY
Today’s cars are made up of complex systems that require the latest tools and diagnostic equipment to fix and repair. This makes it hard for DIY lovers to work on their beloved vehicles; you need to go to your trusted auto mechanics for major repairs.
No need to worry, there are still some fixes that you can do with ordinary tools and little experience. Troubleshooting and repairs can be done on maintenance tasks that are not so complicated for the average DIY car owner.
Some car owners freak out when their headlights go out in the middle of the night. The problem can be a blown fuse that is easy to replace. Check your car’s fuse box to see if you have a busted fuse that needs to be replaced.
Read your owner's manual to know the fuse box's location and the types of fuses you need, whether blade, ceramic, or glass tube. Once you put in the new fuse, you can get your headlights working again.
If you are unsure about the problem, you can always rely on your favorite auto mechanics to help you out.
Oil and Filter Change
Car experts recommend that we change our oil every 3,000 miles, but with the latest advancements in oils and engines, you can probably wait until 5,000 miles before you go for an oil change.
As a safety precaution, you should never change your oil when your engine is hot. Let the engine cool down before jacking up your car.
Prepare the tools you will use: an oil pan, funnel, oil filter wrench, and ratchet. You can finish this task in 30 to 45 minutes, and it will cost you around $20.
Now its time to get down and dirty:
- Jack up your car and make sure it’s safe for you to go under it.
- Once under, locate your oil pan and unscrew the drain plug and drain all of the oil into your oil pan.
- Return the drain plug when all of the oil is drained.
- Proceed to your engine and remove the old oil filter using an oil filter wrench.
- Lubricate the rubber gasket on the new oil filter and fill it with new oil for about two-thirds of its capacity before screwing it in.
- Fill the engine with new oil and check your dipstick if you added enough.
- Discard the old oil filter and recycle the old oil by leaving it at your favorite gas station or recycling center
Changing your oil can be dirty but extremely rewarding. If you think you are not up to the task, you can always go to your auto mechanics for quick service.
Air Filter Replacement
Did you know that an air filter replacement can be done in just 10 minutes without using any tools?
Air filters need to be replaced every year or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. You can pay auto mechanics and give up your car for a day or change it yourself in a few minutes.
- Check your owner’s manual and locate your filter under the hood of your car. It’s inside the black rectangular with metal clips, quite easy to spot once you pop up the hood.
- Open the casing and take note of how the filter is positioned.
- Remove the old filter and insert the new one.
- Close the metal clips, and you are done.
You can prolong the lifespan of your new air filter by cleaning it with compressed air to clean out dirt and debris.
R & I Automotive: Professional Auto Mechanics in San Rafael, CA
When you are facing auto repair problems, it can be time-consuming looking for professional auto mechanics in San Rafael, CA.
Before you ask Siri or Google, you can check us out.
R & I Automotive is your professional auto repair shop for all your repair and maintenance needs.
Our mission is to keep car owners safe and secure while they are on the road.
We are one of a handful of San Rafael auto repair shops that have more than 20 years of experience and expertise to work on most vehicles on the road right now.
From ordinary sedans, large SUVs to massive pickup trucks, foreign and domestic vehicles, we can service them all.
You can check out our 5-star reviews on google and Facebook to know what our customers are saying about us.
What you can expect from us when your car is brought in for auto repair services:
- Same day service ( in the majority of cases)
- OEM parts or better quality parts
- ASE nationally certified mechanics
- Local shuttle service for your convenience
- 24 months or 24,000 miles warranty
Other repair and maintenance services we offer:
- Brake pad replacement
- Brake fluid testing and replacement
- Brake repair
- Water pump replacement
- A/C system recharge
- Timing belt replacement
- Air conditioning repair
- Electrical system diagnostics
- CV drive axles repair
- Power steering repair
- Noise diagnostics and repair
- Check engine light repair and diagnostics.
- Engine repair
- Transmission repair
- Transmission flush
- Oil leak repair
- Fuel pump replacement
- Fuel system repair and diagnostics
Our ASE certified technicians can inspect your vehicle and perform repairs and maintenance that you require.
We can provide a loaner car while your vehicle is in our shop so you can continue with your day.
Make us your one-stop-shop for accurate diagnosis, high-quality service, and the best auto parts.
We keep you safe and secure on the road.